We spend hundreds of dollars on beauty supplies just to take care of our skin; but did you know that among all the wonderful benefits that sleep can bring us, maintaining our skin health is one of them? it is in fact one great remedy to prevent wrinkles or inflammation; and the good news is that it is 100% cheap and effective.
No matter how much money we pay to have tons of skin balms; the truth is that if we do not sleep properly we will not have that healthy young appearance that we all desire.
Sleep benefits to our skin
Every time we sleep our revitalization process starts functioning; allowing every part of our mind and body to regenerate; and our skin is one of the most benefited because it begins healing by performing all of the following activities:
- Reduce cell damages
- Increase collagen production
- Skin renewal twice as quickly
- Increase melatonin production
But, how exactly our skin knows when to start regenerating at night? the answer is simple, our circadian rhythm or biological clock is the one that controls and regulates when it is time to go to sleep, this is ruled by one particular factor which is sunlight exposure. Therefore, as soon as night falls down our melatonin production increases along with the blood flow that goes through our epidermis, helping repair and reduces every possible damage like wrinkles, UV, or age spots.
Consequences of not sleeping enough
When we suffer from bad sleep habits our skin, among other parts of our body, starts presenting some immediate consequences; therefore the first thing we should do when we want to take care of our skin is sleeping at least 7 to 9 hours daily, otherwise, our stress levels could increase cause:
- Paler skin
There is in fact scientific evidence that sleep deprivation can provoke a significant deterioration in our skin making our appearance look older; consequently, following a night time skin care routine is imperative if we want to improve our aspect.
Simple and effective nighttime routine to help our skincare
A few basic tips to consider when we are about to start practicing a skincare routine night after night are:
- Wash your face; besides helping us to relax and increase the blood flow after having a long busy day; it also allows us to maintain our pores clean, hydrate our skin, and keep away any dirt or makeup we have been in contact with.
- Start using moisturizer, which basically a cream or oil that will help your skin keep hydrated all night.
- Try using antioxidants and anti-agents products, they will allow preventing expression lines or wrinkles keeping your asking healthy.
- Sleep the average amount of hours you need (7 to 9 hours daily) and allow your body to release the growth hormone which helps the natural production of collagen.
- Choose an adequate pillowcase that does not irritate your skin and maintain it clean always; set up a comfortable bedroom environment and enjoy that pleasant sleep you deserve.